Saturday, August 21, 2010

This is a ';Parent'; question: How do I play the ';politics'; game in Little League baseball.

My husband and I are going crazy. Our son is a good little baseball player, but the daddy-ball is driving us crazy. There is no way we can keep up with the Jones' and it seems that money, career, status, etc is always coming in play and our son's talent rarely does. I'm so frustrated. I need some words of wisdom.This is a ';Parent'; question: How do I play the ';politics'; game in Little League baseball.
I would definitely talk to the coach. Go into the conversation with as much maturity, level-headedness and logic as possible, and simply ask him why your son isn't getting to play, when he clearly has talent.





To a certain extent, everyone on the team should have the same amount of play time as everyone else. A good coach will have to balance the need to teach the kids with the desire to win, so I'm sure this is not an easy task. What job a player's parents have, or what street they live on should have absolutely nothing to do with the choice.





You don't say how old your son is, but this may be a good lesson for him in how to treat other people. Try to focus on the positive aspects.





If things don't get better after you speak with the coach, you should feel comfortable taking your concerns to the league. I have had friends in similar situations, and this helped them greatly (my daughter was never much of an athlete or I might have run into this myself!).





Don't forget there's always the option of being a coach next year...at least we know you'd manage the kids well!This is a ';Parent'; question: How do I play the ';politics'; game in Little League baseball.
The State of Arkansas has a law stating that every Little League player should play at least 3 innings. Talk to somone over the Little League in your community,

Report Abuse



Justwanahavefun, that isn't a state law it is a little league rule.

Report Abuse



There is no wisdom when it come to Little League. Your right politics win...I played 45 years ago and it was the same then
Go Lou Piniella on'em, only because that would be funny.
Simply put - don't play the game!


Attend his games, encourage and support ALL good play


(both sides), respect coaching and umpiring decisions.


Involve yourselves with club duties where you can spare the time - be a leader to your son, the best way is by example.


If the frustration is yours -get away or above it and let him get on with the game - if he's talanted and the drive to play comes from within, mate.....the Joneses of this world don't matter! You get a well-balanced kid who enjoys sport!

No comments:

Post a Comment