Saturday, August 21, 2010

Can a single parent woman simulate a mother-father relationship?

I hear women say ';i'm the mother %26amp; the father'; which i disagree with but not that strongly. But i can say i sure have seen some women raise their children, work 2 jobs, and go to school. How they do it? I have not one clue. Can a single parent woman simulate a mother-father relationship?
It is possible, I raised my son on my own the first 5 years, I taught him how to stand and pee, how to play soccer,cricket, karate and any thing else he needed to know, I loved him gently and securely, I read to him every night, looked after him when he was sick,a parent can do anything that is necessary to bring up their child, you learn to be both for themCan a single parent woman simulate a mother-father relationship?
One of the things that is important when raising children in a two parent family, is the different parenting styles of men and women, which I don't think can be duplicated by just one parent.





Here is an example of what I mean -





My daughter is 3 years old and I am holding her hand as she walks along a small brick wall. I, as her mother, say reassuring things such as ';Walk slowly, take your time, be careful';, whereas, her father, who is also watching is saying ';You're doing great, let go of Mom's hand, you can do it yourself, you are real brave!';





Mothers tend to be more protective and want to encourage care and caution, fathers seem to want kids to try to climb higher, be braver.





I have been a mother for over 30 years and I have come to the conclusion that for good development, children need both - input from a mother reminding them to be cautious and careful, and input from a father encouraging adventure and courage.





This does not mean that children who don't have a Dad can't develop normally, but it does mean that they need some significant male influence in their lives - Grandfather, Uncle, Step-dad, someone who will be that person to encourage them to stretch their limits.
The thing is that it is impossible to raise a kid alone. Impossible. You absolutely can not work 2 jobs, go to school, and tend to the kids simultaneously. Someone has to care for the kid. Now, yes, you can pay someone else to care for your kid while doing your thing, but now you have involved an hourly worker--or a series of them-- who is helping raise your child.





I don't mean to judge and say this is bad or good. Kids are raised in a variety of ways that affect them in a variety of ways. I was a daycare kid. And I think I turned out fine. Maybe a little closed off from adult affection...but who is to say that wouldn't have happened anyway. ; )





But now, as a mother, I see the world differently. Maybe my child doesn't need a mom and dad...maybe things would be just as good with mom, grandma, grandpa, and Uncle Joe. But I do think that the number one most important thing to consider is that your child gets a primary person who is the main provider of his everyday needs, 7 days a week, for years on end. I can not imagine how different of a person my child would be if she did not have her mom (primary care giver) and her dad (giver of all adoration who makes her think she's the grandest princess in the world). But her eyes also light up with the grandparents and her cousins. But in the middle of the night, when her stomach hurts or she's afraid, she knows that there is one person who is ALWAYS there. And someone who is working 2 jobs and going to school just isn't always there. But that's life.
I was raised by a single mom (my Dad died when I was five). There were four kids - and she did the best she could. She did all of the ';Mom things'; - and she TRIED to do the ';Dad things'; - but there was only one of her.





I don't think it's necessary for your Mom to be the one cooking and kissing boo boos - or the Dad to be the one playing catch with you and teaching you how to change a tire. Either parent can do either thing. And what's most important is that they simply teach you virtues and morals and values. But when there is only one person - one teacher - it's very very hard to do that - especially when they are responsible for bringing money into the house.





I have known single parents who are independently wealthy - and they don't have to spend 8 hours a day working - so it's much easier for them to raise their children.





I think it comes down to intention and time.





Is ';male energy'; needed? It's probably nice to have. I know a little girl being raised by three Moms. She seems pretty well adjusted, smart and happy to me.
You can be the best mom in the world and while there are many lessons you can impart on your children a father is very important in the upbringing of a child's life, particularly young boys. You can teach your young son many things but a woman cannot teach him how to be a man. If there is an absent father in a child's life I would say the next best thing is to try and substitute him with another male figure in your life i.e. grandfather, uncles, etc.
as a single mom of 4 little ones who lost there dad I totally agree with the statement. Yes they have a Dad but he passed away so I had to take on the role of both, I work full-time to provide for my children and still find time for them, The three that are in school get good grades and are well behaved. What the statement does is help the child. My children would get upset when I would be the only person at school things for them while other kids had two parents and grandparents. I am an only child and both my parents too are deceased. You take on the Mommy and Daddy role by being the loving one and the one who has to discipline. When they are mad at you they cant run to the other parent because you are both parents.
you can be 'super mom' and work 2 jobs and be involved and do everything for your child but you can't replace their father--when people say I'm the mother %26amp; the father they are talking about how much they are doing for the child...filling in for both roles..~~
It happens. I'm a full time college student, a single mother, and i have a full time job. I just miss out on a lot of sleep that's all
they either do a very bad job and their kids end up in jail and such or they have a lot of help from others around them like the Grandparents and such.

No comments:

Post a Comment