Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Is there a way I can go to a Doctor without a parent to figure out if I need be Diagnosed as Bipolar?

I think Im bipolar. And my mom does not think I am.


And she wont at least let me check to figure out if I am or not.


I just wanna know if I can go to a doctor with out a parent?Is there a way I can go to a Doctor without a parent to figure out if I need be Diagnosed as Bipolar?
Same thing happened to me. I think you should tell a friend-- maybe they can take you or their parents can, or even more possibly a different family member could. Also, talk to a counselor at like school or something and get a referral from them saying you need to be checked out by a doctor if you can't get anybody else to take you. It's more proof to your mother that you need to go see one that way. Good luck, God bless you (:





~Claire. xxIs there a way I can go to a Doctor without a parent to figure out if I need be Diagnosed as Bipolar?
It would be very dicey for a doctor to see a minor patient without parental or guardian's consent. In some cases doctors can file a petition with the state you live in to award custody of you to the state, who will authorize the doctor to see you, but that would never happen for you unless your psychiatric disorder was causing you to harm yourself or others and your parent refused to get you treatment. This would also involve putting you in a foster home. In a case where a child was in some sort of accident and showed up in the hospital without any parents around the doctors will treat life threatening injuries, but not for an appointment to see if you are bipolar. Your parents could sue the doctor and the doctor could lose their license to practice medicine for treating a child without parental consent. They are not going to risk that over an outpatient psych evaluation.





Then you come to the money. There is no get acquainted free visits with doctors. You would have to pay for their time, and for a psychiatrist to evaluate you could cost anywhere from $150 to $400 for an office visit.





And say all this was set aside and you did get diagnosed with bipolar. You would be prescribed medications which cost hundreds of dollars per month and sometimes get therapy which you also have to pay for.





In the end, most doctors won't even diagnose bipolar in a teenager.
If you pay for the doctor's visit yourself then they do not have to know but if you plan on using their insurance they will definitely know..... Most kids who think they have bipolar, are wrong....... try finding a support group in your area and talk to some people who really have it, that would be free and probably ease your mind.
I would call different counselors and psychiatrists and see if you can get a ';get acquainted'; visit at no charge. Then, just go in and talk to the person and see what they think. It's at no charge so you won't need parent permission.
  • dental cosmetics
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment