Saturday, August 21, 2010

Can I join Navy Nurse Corps as a single parent?

I'm currently in school working on my second Bachelor's degree for Nursing. I am single and have a daughter. Will they allow me to join? Would I have to give up custody of my daughter?Can I join Navy Nurse Corps as a single parent?
Single Parents are not allowed to join the AD military, they can join the Reserves. If you still want to be AD then you must give up custody of your child for your first enlistment/commission.Can I join Navy Nurse Corps as a single parent?
I was never in the Navy but the army. But I am sure that the navy should be able to work with you on joining regardless. I do not think that you should be giving up custody of your daughter to do this but thru training I am sure you will need to have someone watch your daughter...someone you can trust and maybe another family member. Good Luck.
Nope, you cannot enlist or be commissioned to active duty as a single parent.





You can give up custody, but you would have to permanently give up custody.





You cannot give up custody, be commissioned and then at a later date, gain custody again.
Probably while you're in training you'll have to give custody to someone else. Then you'll need a care plan for her if you have to work all night suddenly or get deployed for 6 months or whatever contingency could arise where you wouldn't be available to make decisions or care for her. Or get married and have a civilian husband which I think is easier. LOL.
Not if you have custody of the child. Single parents are not accepted for induction/commission as either enlisted or officers unless they have given up custody and come in unencumbered.





There's a reason for this. As a junior enlisted or junior officer you will simply not have time to care for a child and serve in the military. Your job is going to come first, always. You can expect to work nights, weekends, holidays and rotating shifts. You can expect to be deployed overseas.





Single women who come into the military and then get pregnant and give birth are given the choice. They can be discharged or they can stay. If they stay they are expected to have a ';care plan'; in place that provides for the child 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. There's never an excuse to miss work due to the child. If the care plan breaks down they are discharged whether they like it or not.
call a recruiter and ask!

No comments:

Post a Comment